BitPay ID verification for BitPay Dashboard is performed by Onfido. To provide their services to BitPay, Onfido collects certain information from users for verification, such as a selfie and an identification document. When providing your information, we have included some best practices for successful verification.
Tips for success:
- Please review what documents are supported.
- Enter your name exactly as it appears on your document.
- Do not upload scans of your documents. The best way to successfully complete verification is to select "Need to use your Mobile to take pictures?" during the ID verification process. We'll send you a link to your mobile phone, which will allow you to use your mobile camera to take live pictures of your document.
- Do not take a picture of a picture.
- Don’t forget to check the expiration date, and be sure to upload a document which is not expired.
- When taking the picture, remember to center your document in the frame. Our system needs to see all four corners of the document.
- Focused, well-lit pictures make it easier for our system to extract your information from your documents. If any information cannot be extracted from your document, your application will require additional review to be completed.
- When taking a selfie, make sure that the light source is coming from in front of you, in order to avoid a dark photo
- Keep your camera steady to avoid any blurriness
- Ensure that the application you are using does not add any logos, filters or watermarks to your photos (it is best to use your device's default camera app)
The device I'm using to complete verification does not have a working camera, how do I complete the process?
In order to verify your BitPay ID, you will need to provide a recent photo of your ID document and a selfie. If the device you are using does not have a camera, you can either take photos of your documents, transfer them to your computer and upload them to your application or send a link to your mobile phone in order to use your phone's camera to take pictures.
My ID verification is still "Pending", how long will it take?
The verification process can take anywhere from a couple of minutes to a couple of hours. Once your application has been processed, you will receive an email with the status of your application.
The ID document I have is not on the list of supported documents, can I still verify my identity?
Unfortunately, if your ID isn't on the list, you cannot verify your BitPay ID at this time. Identity verification and our Customer Support Team will not be able to make an exception for you regarding the supported documents.
New documents are always being added to this list so it's worth checking back to see if yours has been added.
What happens after I reach my maximum number of attempts?
If your application failed 3 times in a row, it will need to be reviewed by our Customer Support Team. Once it's reviewed, we will send you an email with the status of your application or next steps to take if necessary.