Sometimes you want to test transactions on the blockchain or implementations for payment solutions. You can do this with test funds on the testnet blockchain so that there is no monetary cost to testing. Testnet coins carry no value and cannot be used to pay transactions.
Only the following coins have testnet capabilities:
- Bitcoin (BTC)
- Bitcoin Cash (BCH)
- Ethereum (ETH) (Does not include ERC20 stablecoins.)
- Ripple (XRP)
The following steps are valid for all the above mentioned coins.
- Click the ··· icon in the Wallet tab of the app.
2. Click Create a new wallet.
3. Select Simple Wallet.
4. Select the currency. Remember that USD tokens are not supported for testnet.
5. Name the wallet (1), tap Show advanced options (2).
6. Enable Testnet (1) and tap CREATE (2).
- You can choose to protect the wallet with a password if you like.
- The testnet wallet has now been created.
Testnet wallets are indicated by a gray icon currency on the wallets tab (1) and a small flask symbol and a TESTNET text on the wallet view (2). If you see the flask symbol, you are dealing with a testnet wallet. For more information on Testnet Wallets, please click here.
Now that you have a wallet set up, you are ready to receive some testnet coins. Testnet bitcoins carry no value, and cannot be used to pay monetary transactions. They are solely for testing transactions and implementations.
- First, you will need to get the receiving address for your testnet wallet. Click Receive at the bottom of the screen (1) while in the testnet wallet, then click the address at the bottom to copy it to your phone or computer’s clipboard (2).
- Navigate to https://testnet.coinfaucet.eu/en/ or your choice of testnet faucet, paste your testnet address, click Get Bitcoins! and solve the captcha.
3. The faucet will send you a random amount of testnet cryptocurrency.
- Within a few minutes you should see the pending transaction, and a balance in your testnet wallet.
For other coins, the same procedure is used, simply select the desired coin during the wallet creation steps.
To obtain testnet coins for other currencies, please refer to the following links: