Sometimes you want to test transactions on the blockchain or implementations for payment solutions. You can do this with test funds on the testnet blockchain so that there is no monetary cost to testing. Testnet bitcoins carry no value and cannot be used to pay. (What is testnet? How do I avoid testnet Bitcoin scams?)
After you have the BitPay or Copay wallet installed, you can follow the below steps to create a Testnet wallet.
- Click on the “Settings” icon on the top right.
2. Scroll down to Wallets (Grouped by key) and click on Add Wallet.
3. Select Basic Wallet.
4. Select either an existing key to add the wallet under or tap on Create a new key. The next steps involve creating a new key.
5. Select the currency (Bitcoin or Bitcoin Cash) for the wallet.
6. Name the wallet and tap on Show advanced options to specify the wallet as a testnet wallet.
7. Click on Create once the testnet option is selected and a Wallet name is specified.
8. You can choose to protect the wallet with a password if you like.
The testnet wallet has now been created.
Testnet wallets are indicated by the small flask symbol along with a boxed TESTNET text. If you see the flask symbol, you are dealing with a testnet wallet.
Now that you have a wallet set up, you are ready to receive some testnet coins. Testnet bitcoins carry no value. They are solely for testing transactions and implementations.
- First, you will need to get the receiving address for your testnet wallet. Click Receive at the bottom of the screen (1) while in the testnet wallet, then click the address at the top to copy it to your phone or computer’s clipboard (2).
2. Navigate to https://testnet.coinfaucet.eu/en/ or your choice of testnet faucet, paste your testnet address, then click Get bitcoins!
3. The faucet will send you a random amount of testnet bitcoins.
4. Within a few minutes you should see the pending transaction and a balance in your testnet wallet.