If your 12 word backup phrase does not work when you attempt to import it into a wallet app, you may have written down one or more of the words incorrectly.
Usually there is only a small discrepancy between the word you have written down and the actual word of your backup phrase. To determine the correct word, you may just need to match it to the most similar word used in backup phrases.
Here is a full list of the English words used in bitcoin wallet seed phrases. For other languages, click here.
Here are some things you can double-check:
- Are you sure the recovery phrase was written in the correct order?
- Did you use all lowercase letters and no punctuation?
- Did you add a password to your recovery phrase?
- Did you separate each word with a single space only (no commas or any other punctuation)?
- For backup phrases in non-English languages: Some words may include special symbols (ñ, è, っ, etc.), so be sure to spell all the words correctly.
If you are using a smartphone, please check to confirm that:
- Your phone is not capitalizing the first letter of any word.
- Your phone is not adding spaces:
- Before the first word
- More than one space between words
- After the last word