Device-based two-factor authentication is a powerful way to secure an account login. This guide will show you how to set up two-factor authentication (2FA) on your BitPay account using the Google Authenticator app.
- Download the Google Authenticator app on your Android or iOS device.
- Login to your BitPay account.
- Select your username > User Settings
- Select Edit in the Security settings
- You will see a screen showing a QR code for your unique authentication key.
- Open the Google Authenticator app and scan the provided QR code. This will create a Google Authenticator code in your Google Authenticator app.
- Enter the Google Authenticator code in your BitPay dashboard and click Enable.
- You're all set with two-factor authentication! There's one final step we recommend: backing up your two-factor authentication codes. Just enter your Google Authenticator code in the field marked Auth Token to get a list of single-use backup codes you can use if you ever lose your Google Authenticator app or if your device is lost or stolen.
Remember that without your Google Authenticator app or these single-use backup codes, you will not be able to access your BitPay account. Store them in a safe and secure space, and do not share them.