Device-based two-factor authentication is a powerful way to secure an account login. This guide will show you how to set up two-factor authentication (2FA) on your BitPay merchant account using the Google Authenticator app.
2. Login to your BitPay merchant account.
3. Select your username > User Settings
4. Select Edit in the Security settings
5. You will see a screen showing a QR code for your unique authentication key.
6. Open the Google Authenticator app and scan the provided QR code. This will create a Google Authenticator code in your Google Authenticator app.
7. Enter the Google Authenticator code in your BitPay dashboard and click Enable.
Your two-factor authentication is now enabled on your BitPay merchant account!
Obtaining Your Backup Codes
There's one final step we recommend: backing up your two-factor authentication codes. To obtain your backup codes, enter your Google Authenticator code in the field marked Auth Token to get a list of single-use backup codes you can use if you ever lose your Google Authenticator app or if your device is lost or stolen.
Remember that without your Google Authenticator app or these single-use backup codes, you will not be able to access your BitPay account. Store them in a secure space, and do not share them.