It is possible to recover funds from a BitPay or Copay wallet without using BitPay's apps or BitPay's wallet service.
To recover your funds and send them to a different wallet, go to the Copay Recovery Tool on GitHub. Provide your File/Text Backup or Wallet Recovery Phrase.
Getting Started with the Recovery Tool
The steps below will help you retrieve your funds from the backup of the original wallet using a client-side process. BitPay never obtains access to your private key, which never leaves your device:
- Go to the recovery tool in your browser.
- Select your wallet configuration. The network should be:
- btc/livenet for Bitcoin
- bch/livenet for Bitcoin Cash
- eth/livenet for Ether
- Enter your backup phrase(s).
- Accept the terms and conditions.
- Click Scan Wallet.
- The wallet's addresses will be derived and scanned in the appropriate network. You will now be able to see your balance.
- If you want to transfer your coins to an address, enter the receiving address to which you want to transfer your coins (for example, an exchange that receives BCH) and click Transfer.
If your funds were not recovered:
- Make sure the selected Chain is correct.
- Repeat the process, increasing the Address Gap value to 40, 80, 100, 120...
- If you had many wallets with the same phrase, try increasing the Account value up to 8.
We've tried to make this process as simple as possible. If you have any issues to report with this software, please share your feedback with our wallet team.
IMPORTANT: BitPay does not gain access to your funds or your private keys for BCH, BTC, or ETH. This tool is open source software. For more information, please visit bitpay.com/terms.
Article is closed for comments.