Note: For overpaid invoices, the amount due on the invoice is automatically credited to the merchant once the transaction reaches 6 confirmations. However, the merchant can refund the overpaid amount.
- Log in to your BitPay merchant account and select the Payments view from the left panel.
- Select the desired invoice in the Payments view.
- Click Resolve at the top of the page to proceed.
- Select ‘Refund Overpayment’ and then click Next.
- If the purchaser’s wallet provided a refund address to use, you will have the option to use the provided address. Otherwise, you can specify an refund bitcoin address. Click the View Confirmation button to continue.
- Confirm the amount to refund (this must match the overpaid amount listed above the field) and click Refund Payment.
- You will be returned to the Payment Details view for the invoice, which states ‘A refund is pending approval from BitPay’ at the top of the screen. The status of the invoice will be changed to ‘Paid’ once the refund has been processed. Refunds are typically processed within 24 hours, but we ask that you allow up to 1-2 business days.