Note: In case of an underpayment, BitPay automatically sends an email to the customer which contains a secure link to request a refund. In some cases it may be necessary for a merchant to resend the refund link to the customer, this is what is covered in this support article.
For underpaid invoices, the amount paid is not credited to the merchant account. Underpaid invoices can only be refunded to the customers.
Once the cryptocurrency transaction has been fully validated on the corresponding blockchain network (for instance, 6 blocks confirmation for invoices paid in BTC or BCH), the underpayments can be refunded.
- Log in to your BitPay merchant account, click on the Payments tab in the left panel. To view all recent payments.
- Click on the Unresolved tab to view all payment exceptions (thus including underpayments).
- Select the desired invoice to access the Payments details page below.
- Click on the Refund Underpayment button at the top of the page to proceed to the below screen.
- Merchants have the option to resend the refund link to the email address stored on the corresponding BitPay invoice, or send it to a different email address.If the customer who made the payment was logged in with his BitPay personal account, the refund can only be sent to the corresponding email address.
- On the next screen, confirm the amount to refund and click the Refund Payment button.
- You will be redirected to the Payment Details view for the corresponding invoice, which states "We've sent an email to the buyer with instructions to claim their refund" at the top of the screen.
Article is closed for comments.