Accept bitcoin on your WordPress site with BitPay's open source plugin for Woocommerce.
Get started by signing up for a BitPay merchant account.
You must also have already installed the Woocommerce plugin from the WordPress Plugin Directory.
NOTE: View the server requirements for this plugin.
Installing the Plugin
- Download the latest version of the BitPay plugin for Woocommerce.
- Navigate to your WordPress Admin Panel and select Plugins > Add New > Upload Plugin.
- Select the downloaded plugin and click "Install Now". Select "Activate" to complete installation.
WARNING We always recommend that you backup your database before installing plugins.
NOTE: Merchants who have a previous version of the WooCommerce BitPay Payment Gateway will need to remove it. This can be done by navigating to Wordpress's Adminstration Panel > Plugins. Deactivate the old plugin, then delete it.
Connecting BitPay and Woocommerce
- Log in to your WordPress admin panel and go to Plugins -> BitPay for WooCommerce -> Settings. Click on the link to get a pairing code (https://bitpay.com/api-tokens).
- If you need to login into your BitPay merchant account, do so, and click on the link again (https://bitpay.com/api-tokens)
- In your BitPay merchant account, select "Add new token", click "Add token" and copy the pairing code (6/7 characters)
- Back in WordPress, paste the pairing code in your BitPay for WooCommerce plugin under "API token" and click Find.
The BitPay for WooCommerce plugin should now display a valid API token (label and id).
NOTE: Pairing codes are only valid for 24 hours. If a code expires before you get to use it, you can always create a new one and pair with it.
You will only need to do this once since each time you do this, the extension will generate public and private keys that are used to identify you when using the API.
Nice work! Your customers will now be able to check out with bitcoin on your WordPress site.
Order Status Customizaton
You can customize how BitPay's IPNs (Instant Payment Notifications) display order statuses in your WooCommerce store.
Optimizing Plugin Performance
It is highly recommended that you install the GMP extension for PHP to achieve maximum performance when using this plugin.