Once funds have been loaded to your card balance, Wave Crest holds them as dollars, euros, or pounds (depending on your card type). If you have a card balance on your deactivated card, there are two ways you can request a refund from Wave Crest.
We have detailed the steps for claiming a refund below.
How you can claim a bank transfer refund
Your first option is to receive a refund in the currency held on your card (GBP, EUR, or USD). Wave Crest will transfer the funds to your bank account.
1. Fill out the Wave Crest refund authorization form. Select the second option. BitPay will not have access to your banking information, bank statement, or ID.
2. Send your ID, bank statement, and completed form to email@example.com as email attachments.
3. Wave Crest will verify that you are a cardholder. You will receive a bank transfer refund from Wave Crest within 30 days.
How you can claim a bitcoin refund
You can also ask Wave Crest to return your card balance to BitPay. From there, we will be able to issue you a refund in the form of bitcoin.
A few important things to remember:
- Bitcoin refunds are only available if you submit your Wave Crest authorization form within the next 30 days (by 8 February).
- Due to high average bitcoin miner fee levels, you can only request a bitcoin refund if your card balance is at least 50 USD / 37 GBP / 42 EUR.
- The refund will be for a bitcoin amount equivalent to the USD, GBP, or EUR remaining on your card – NOT for the original bitcoin amount at the time of the load payment.
Please follow the steps below to claim a bitcoin refund:
1. Fill out the Wave Crest refund authorization form. Select the first option.
2. Send the completed form to firstname.lastname@example.org as an email attachment.
- DO NOT provide bank account details, ID, or a bank statement to Wave Crest if you choose this option.
- Wave Crest may take up to 10 days to process your form and return the funds to BitPay's account. Until BitPay has received the funds from Wave Crest, we cannot process your refund.
3. Once Wave Crest has replied to confirm that your funds have returned to BitPay, submit a bitcoin refund request to BitPay with the option "Request Wave Crest Refund".
- Feel free to include a comment if you have any additional questions or notes for our team.
- You do not need to provide a bitcoin refund address at this stage.
- If you haven't completed the Wave Crest refund form yet, please go back to steps 1-2.
4. After you submit your bitcoin refund request, BitPay will send you an email that will let you initiate a refund for a BTC amount equivalent to the USD, GBP, or EUR remaining on your card. The BTC amount will be calculated at current exchange rates when BitPay executes the refund.
UPDATES/CORRECTIONS, 1/9/17: A previous version of this article stated that refund exchange rates locked in at time that "you provide your bitcoin refund address and submit the refund for processing." We have corrected the statement above.