If you have received BCH to a BTC wallet by mistake, it is possible to recover funds from a BitPay or Copay wallet without using BitPay's apps or BitPay's wallet service.
To recover the funds you need:
- A BCH wallet
- The 12-word recovery phrase of the BTC wallet where the BCH were sent.
1) If you do not have a BCH wallet, please create a wallet, choosing BCH as the currency.
After you have a BCH Wallet, you can retrieve your original BCH from the backup of the BTC wallet. BitPay never obtains access to your private key with this process.
2) Use the recovery tool:
- Go to the Copay Recovery Tool in your browser.
- Select your wallet configuration. The network should be bch/livenet. (1)
- Enter your backup phrase. This is the 12-word recovery phrase of the BTC wallet where the BCH were sent. (2)
- Accept the Terms and Conditions. (3)
- Click Scan Wallet.(4)
The wallet's addresses will be derived and scanned in the appropriate blockchain. When the process finishes, you will be able to see your BCH balance.
To transfer your coins to your new BCH wallet, get a receiving address by one of these two methods:
3a) Via the BCH wallet you previously created:
- Open the BitPay App.
- Click the wallet icon in the bottom.
- Select the BCH wallet.
- Click Receive.
- Click the QR code to copy the address.
Then paste the address on the Destination Address input (5) on the Recovery Tool and click Transfer (6).
3b) OR Transfer the funds to another address.
- Enter the address (for example, an exchange that receives BCH) (5)
- Click Transfer (6).
If you experience an issue when attempting to recover funds:
- Make sure the selected Chain is correct. It should be bch/livenet.
- Repeat the process, increasing the Address Gap value to 40, 80, 100, 120… as needed.