With the BitPay or Copay Wallet
To recover BCH from your BitPay or Copay Wallet, click on Settings and select the appropriate wallets you want to duplicate. Click on More Options > Duplicate ( BitcoinCash ) > Duplicate.This step will duplicate the old BTC wallet, automatically creating a BCH wallet with the August 1st BCH balance. We strongly recommend you protect your wallets with a password to keep your funds safe.
If your balance does not show up after you duplicate the wallet, try the following troubleshooting steps:
- Settings > Wallet > More Options > Transaction History > Clear cache
- Settings > Wallet > More Options > Wallet Addresses > Scan addresses for funds
If you don't use the BitPay or Copay Wallet
If you don't want to or cannot import your wallet onto the BitPay or Copay Wallet, you'll need to open our Bitcoin Cash recovery tool.
Before recovering your BCH, make sure you don't have any bitcoin in the wallet you are trying to recover Bitcoin Cash from. Move your bitcoin to a new bitcoin wallet. This will ensure that no bitcoin can be removed from your wallet by exposing your backup passphrase.
- If you have a multi signature wallet, select the required number of signatures and total number of copayers. If you don't have a multi signature wallet, leave both of these at 1.
- Select your wallet configuration. The network should be “bch/livenet.” If you leave it a "btc/livenet", you won't recover your BCH.
- Enter your twelve-word wallet backup phrase or wallet seed.
- Enter your backup password (If you set one).
- Enter your spending password (If you set one).
- Click on “Scan Wallet”
- The wallet's addresses will be derived and scanned in the BCH network. You will now be able to see your BCH balance.
- If you can't see a BCH balance, make sure you followed all of the steps correctly and increase the Address Gap if necessary.
- Enter the BCH address of your BCH Wallet and click "Transfer."
These steps help users retrieve their BCH from the backup of the original bitcoin wallet using a client-side process. BitPay never obtains access to your private key.