There are two ways to obtain your BitPay or Copay wallet private key:
1. Visit https://bip32jp.github.io/english/ and paste your BIP39 passphrase (Copay or BitPay wallet 12- word backup ). Then, you can retrieve your xPrivKey on the BIP32 Extended Key input.
2. Go to Settings -> Wallets -> Choose your wallet -> More Options -> Export Wallet -> File/Text -> Set up a password -> Download.
- Then, go to https://bitwiseshiftleft.github.io/sjcl/demo/.
- Open your file and copy the entire text.
- Paste the text in Ciphertext text area.
- Enter your password on the Password input. (This password is the one that you will enter in Copay/BitPay) . Then click “decrypt.” In the Plaintext text area you will now find the xPrivKey.
WARNING: Your extended private keys are all that is needed to access your bitcoin funds. Be sure to protect your private keys and store them only on secure devices. BitPay, Inc. does not have access to your private keys, so you alone are responsible for your keys. If you share key access with external services, you take responsibility for the risk of theft or breach. Only advanced users should handle extended private keys directly.
NOTE: If you are sweeping your private keys in order to access tokens created by a network hard fork (example: Bitcoin Gold) which are not supported natively in the BitPay and Copay apps, we recommend sending your bitcoin to a different wallet (a different set of private keys) before you retrieve the tokens from the original private key set. Ensure that your original wallet and the new wallet are backed up.